Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Why I Love Virtual Reality

Lots of reasons, really.  But lately I've come to appreciate just how EASY things are in Second Life compared to Real Life.  Specifically, home construction and remodeling.

In RL, our home has been torn apart in one place or another for what seems like forever, and it's going to go on for at least another forever as we remodel the dear old place, room by room and project by project.  Contractors invading the place at all hours.  Bathrooms ripped apart.  Kitchens demolished.  Walls torn open, and spiders scurrying for cover.  Endless visits to the hardware store, the stone and tile store, the carpet store, the decorator's offices.  Bids, and more bids, and arguments with contractors over bids.  Shoddy work that has to be done over.  And thousands, tens of thousands, of dollars.  Oh well, I didn't want to retire anyway.

In SL, I just point my finger and click the mouse.  A wall appears!  I can defy gravity and build from the roof downward, if I want.  I try out textures...hmm, do I want stone, or brick, or wood?  Insulation?  Electrical wiring?  Plumbing?  Building codes, permits, inspections?  Fuggedaboutit!  I don't even have to round up husky helpers to move furniture about.

OK, so there's lag, and crashes.  But that's a small price to pay for all the other advantages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.