Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Sleep Deprivation

One of the problems of living an active Second Life is that it really sucks up time, of which we all have a fixed and limited supply of 24 hours per day.  This is all well and good if you have the time to spare, but a lot of us have a Real Life that occasionally needs some attention, too.  Many of us had full, active lives before Second Life came along.  So the question becomes, where does the time for SL come from?

For a lot of us, some or all of it comes out of our sleeping time.

Since starting SL, my average night's sleep has gone down by about two hours.  Many nights, I'll squeak by on four hours of sleep.  Not to mention neglecting all the chores and projects around the house that are put-offable.  I've always been a procrastinator, but SL has raised me up to the World Champion class.

So far, it's seemed to be an acceptable tradeoff to me, but my recent foray into OpenSim grids has rather focused my attention on it, because living TWO second lives is even MORE time consuming.  Especially when one of them is a situation where you're starting from scratch, with no inventory, no handy tools...not even a cute pair of shoes or a hugger!

None of us can create more time, all we can do is use the time we have as best we can.  So today I am wondering, is life in a virtual world the best use of my time?  My grainy eyes are telling me, "maybe not".

No comments:

Post a Comment