Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

SLeaze

It's not what you think.

One of my penniless newcomer friends (she's not even a week old yet!) called me up tonight, very excited.  She'd gotten a job at a strip club!  And could I come and watch her dance?

I sighed to myself, because I was almost sure what I would find...but I went.  Sure enough, the place was the very definition of Second Life Sleaze.  Now, I don't mean it was sleazy simply because it was a strip club.  I have seen a great many very well-designed and well-executed strip clubs in SL, in every style from posh and swanky to urban grunge.  No, it wasn't the stuff going on there that was sleazy.  But everything about HOW it was presented was just...well, let me just list some shortcomings.

- Terrible music stream.  Yes, I know, tastes differ.  But a strip club should play music that's...well, sexy!  This was not; it was barely even danceable.

- Terrible dances for the strippers.

- Terrible dances for the customers.

- Awful, clashing decor.  The overall impression was that of a retro art deco diner in which someone had planted dance poles.  Harsh, garish colors, clashing tones.  My eyes started to bleed after fifteen minutes there.

- Poor lighting, and poor sight lines.  You couldn't even see the dancers unless you were sitting in one of the chairs next to the poles.

- Poor customer seating.  Each seating position only permitted one person -- there was no way to cuddle with a friend, or even have more than one person watching a given pole.  The poses in the seats were all male too...which was odd, given that this club features both female AND male strippers.

- They hired newbies, and didn't provide any training.  We weren't greeted on our arrival, the dancers didn't have any banter, and when there was any emoting, it was clearly cut-and-pasted emotes from a poorly-written crib sheet.

My partner Cindi summed it up:  "This place is to strip clubs as McDonald's is to restaurants."

It's like Remy the rat chef says in "Ratatouille":  "Sure, anyone CAN cook.  That doesn't mean that anyone SHOULD."  Everyone can be a creator in Second Life...but not everyone can be a GOOD one.

Talent and skill play a part, a large one.  But I also think that one's focus is important.  If you create something for the sake of creating it, because you love the feeling of making something, of bringing an idea in your head into the world for everyone to see, you're more likely to create something good.  If you create something because you think it will make you a lot of money fast, then you're a lot more likely to create SLeaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment