Pages

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Classroom Discipline, Part II

We had a minor epidemic of nudity in my class at Caledon Oxbridge University tonight.  Since Oxbridge is a General region, and the citizens of Caledon are genteel Victorian ladies and gentlemen, this was a matter of somewhat more concern that it might be in some other places.

The first was a girl.  She came in and sat down while I was lecturing, and it was a little while before I realized that she was nude.  In between bits of the lecture, I IM'd her privately.

"Do you realize that you are naked?"
"I'm not."
(at this point, I suspected an SL glitch, a bug I've seen before.  I quickly took a picture of her, and passed it to her.)
"I believe you.  But this is what I'm seeing on my screen."
She got up and promptly left the room.  I continued both my lecture in local chat, and my IM with her, in case she thought I was playing some trick on her.
"This is a bug I've seen before.  It's very annoying."
"I'll re-log."
"Good idea."
After a few minutes, she reappeared, properly clothed.
"Yay, you're fixed!"
":)"

A bit later, a gentleman walked into the classroom and sat down.  He'd been clothed on his way in, but when I noticed him again, he'd taken off every stitch.

"Mr. ----, please put some clothes on."
"Okay"
He did so promptly, but also jumped up and flew out of the classroom.

Now, in both these cases, I could have ejected and banned the offenders.  It being a General region, I could even have Abuse Reported them.  But I didn't.  In the first case, the offense was unwitting, and promptly corrected.  In the second, I feel the offender was attempting to disrupt the class, but a firm yet polite stance, and a complete failure to appear shocked or flustered, solved the problem.

I am not relating these incidents to show what a marvelous teacher and disciplinarian I am.  They are simply examples of how, by keeping one's temper, a lot of acrimony and Drama can be avoided.

This works outside the classroom too.  The other day, my home region was offline (yes, again!) and I was logged into an Adult infohub instead.  While I fired up my web browser to contact Live Chat, I sat myself down on the nearest railing.  As I was sitting there, an IM window opened up.  And the first comment was:

"Nice tits"

I was MOST annoyed by this rudeness.  But I chose to simply ignore it, even though I very badly wanted to snap back a rejoinder.  This silent treatment worked perfectly.  The oaf gave up and moved on to his next victim.

Stay frosty out there!

4 comments:

  1. Good article, one picky point: "I could have ejected and banned the offenders. It being a General region". Nudity, in an of itself is tolerated in General regions. In fact there are very popular nude beach regions that make a living that way. Rude, however -- wouldn't it be nice to set up a region wide ban for them? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nudity, in and of itself, is tolerated in MODERATE regions, not in General regions. But in addition, Oxbridge has prominent signs saying "NO NUDITY".

      Delete
  2. Well Done Lindal! I knew Roleplay class students would be mischievous but it seems we all have them!
    I am however amazed you did not stop the dull-wit that complimented yuo in his own way and corrected him on his grammatical misuse of participles, or lack of structure- no predicate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nicely handled! and funny to an outsider =)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.