Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Fun at the Infohub

In the immortal words of Obi Wan Kenobi and Brenda Connolly, Infohubs are "wretched hives of scum and villainy."   I seldom go there.

But there is one Infohub in the Blake Sea, not too far from my home, that I visit occasionally, in the Barbarossa region.  Yesterday I went there, and I discovered that it has a small rezzing area at the dock, for seaplanes.

For a wonder, there was no one abusing the rez privileges to create griefing litter.  Not that this NEVER happens, but at the time, everyone was Playing Nice.  I rezzed my little float-equipped ultralight plane, and had fun flying around the island at low altitude, and practicing touch and go water landings, and flying in formation with other planes, and pacing boats.
Ultralight from Cloud Dancer Aviation


While I was doing this, someone else rezzed a gigantic aircraft carrier, so I then practiced carrier landings!

This is the way play should be in Second Life.  Playing WITH other residents for mutual enjoyment, not griefing them and playing tricks on them.  There was another recent similar event at Caledon Oxbridge University, where Professor Damian Delacroix showed up as a monstrous King Kong avatar.  My fellow professor, Wendyslippers Charisma, has blogged about this, complete with pictures.   Giant avatars are not welcomed at Oxbridge in the normal course of things, but this was Halloween and the Deans allowed it.  We had a grand time!

Contrast this with the griefing I encountered at the Brazilian help area, Ajuda SL Brasil.  There, a throwaway avatar (she had about fifty related alts, when I looked her up to file the Abuse Report) rezzed something that filled the local chat with page after page of text, "y0u n00b!"  This made local chat completely unusable until the volunteers could locate and remove the object and the griefer.

This gets you banned and abuse reported.  Some fun, huh?

(So of course, when I go there the next day, someone has covered the entire place with noob dolls and devices that crash your viewer.  Sigh.)


2 comments: