Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Goofiness

Second Life is a magical place.  Lots of people use it to create beautiful, stunning landscapes and buildings.  Others use it for serious, long term and detailed role play.  It can be used for education, and for socializing.  Many people have serious businesses in SL, and work hard to make them profitable.

Or you can just be goofy.

The other night, I showed up at the usual gathering place at Caledon Oxbridge University.  In the middle of the path, someone had created a big cylindrical glass aquarium and filled it with water.  In the tank was my friend Alyshamonsta.

Now, Alysha is, all by herself, sort of an incentive to be goofy.  When I first met her, she was a nine foot tall, hugely muscled, shaggy werewolf...wearing a little pink tutu.  And every time I've met her since, she has on a new and amusing avatar.  This night, she was a sort of shark/tiger hybrid.

We had lots of fun making jokes and fishy puns...then I rezzed a ltttle boat and placed it on the top of the water in the aquarium.  My partner Cindi showed up and joined me in the boat, then she got out a fishing rod and started "fishing" for Alysha.

There were probably about five or six of us in the group, and we kept each other laughing with jokes and puns and silly comments for well over half an hour.  We rezzed other silly vehicles, each of us trying to outdo the others.

On another occasion, I rezzed a steampunk rocket chair and spent some time maneuvering it through the hallowed halls of Oxbridge, stopping here and there to converse with newcomers.  This chair has an "autodestruct" function that causes it to blow up and fall in pieces to the ground, which caused much merriment.

I got an even better response with my lawn chair aircraft, held aloft by bunches of colorful helium balloons.

Second Life can be serious...or it can be just for play.  That's part of its magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment