Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Virtual and Real Bodies

In the seven-plus years I've been in Second Life, one of my greatest concerns has been my appearance.  I think that's true for most of us in the virtual world, with some notable exceptions.  My friend and personal hero Desmond Shang comes to mind. Desmond is so focused on being himself that he has no time or patience to waste on what he might look like.  His words and actions tell you who he his, the avatar is just a placeholder. 

But Des is a wonderful exception to the rule.  For most of us, our avatar represents who we are in SL, our own ideal self-image made visible.  It says "Look!  This is who I am!"

And I like my Second Life self a lot.  In SL, I'm young, slender, curvy and beautiful.  I wear high fashion clothes, expensive jewelry, sexy shoes.  In short, I'm one put together babe, honey.

One of my SL friends told me that her sexy SL appearance had had a salutory effect on her Real Life one...since starting SL, she said, she'd dropped 20 pounds in RL so she would look a bit more like her avatar.

I think I've finally come around to that attitude.  Since coming to SL, almost all of my spare time has been spent sitting in front of a computer monitor.  My fingers are about the only part of me that's gotten a workout in a long, long time.  And my physical body has, not to put too fine a point on it, gone to hell.

Well, it's time to do something about that.  I can't do anything about the "young" part (sigh!) but I can and do hereby resolve to do two RL things religiously from now on:  Diet.  Exercise.

It's a lot harder to re-make our physical selves than to put on a new shape and skin in SL.  But I'm going to Do It!  If you are spending too much time in front of your monitor, maybe you should, too.  I bet it will improve both your SL and your RL, and might even give you a few years longer to enjoy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.