Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Quick! Get Rid of QuickTime!

Hello, faithful readers!

Today's post is short, but it deals with a serious issue.

Second Life has always recommended installing Apple QuickTime on your computer.  It's required to view videos in the .mov format.

However, Apple has announced that they are no longer supporting QuickTime for Windows (they're continuing support for QT on the Mac...of course.)  Even worse, two vulnerabilities have recently been uncovered in the Windows version that could allow a hacker to get access to your computer.  No less an entity than U.S. Homeland Security is recommending that if you have QuickTime for Windows on your computer that you uninstall it at once.

You can get more information on this here:  http://blog.trendmicro.com/urgent-call-action-uninstall-quicktime-windows-today/

As if that wasn't bad enough, when I was doing some research for this post, I ran across an article written in 2011 that reported on a QuickTime exploit aimed specifically at Second Life residents.  Attackers using this exploit could steal $L from anyone entering their land.  Here is the link to that article: http://www.zdnet.com/article/quicktime-hack-allows-second-life-currency-theft/  (Note:  I do not know if either Apple or Linden Lab patched the software subsequent to this report.)

"But...will Second Life work without QuickTime?"  I'm glad you asked.  I wondered about this myself, since I have always had QT installed.  I uninstalled it, and went to see for myself.

Everything appeared to work normally...with the single exception of video media players.  This is highly annoying, but not a deal-breaker for me, because I very seldom watch TV in Second Life.  If I wanna watch TV, I'll do that in Real Life!  The MOST annoying part is that the new LEVAHome TVs that I had JUST bought last month from VEA Media for my tenants no longer work AT ALL...and the VEA Media showroom has vanished.  I guess they pulled up stakes and walked off into the sunset when they realized their product wasn't going to work any more for most people.

No comments:

Post a Comment